[mythtv-users] On video w/mostly black,

ttempl-myth ttempl-myth at tcworks.net
Sat Nov 22 23:44:31 EST 2003

Just wanted to chime in that I'm experiencing the same issue.  Stutter on
mostly black or mostly white screens during mythtv playback.  Both in LiveTV
and recorded programs, nothing else going on while recording. Pausing makes
no difference in LiveTV.  No messages from myth or ivtv. Seems to be in the
recorded file as it happens at the same place everytime on playback.  Yet,
Mplayer/Xine/Windows Media player all play back the file fine.  Perhaps they
just handle the corrupted mpg better?

It was quite sever on my system until, of all things, I reset my contast
settings back closer to default.  I know that sounds strange, but I did have
my contrast set to around 36-38% and some shows that weren't even that dark
were chopping.  For example X-play on techtv would start studdering on just
about every game segment they showed, and a night scene in a movie I was
watching was pretty much a slide show.  I actually stumbled across the
contrast thing during that movie.  I just cranked the contrast/brightness
for the heck of it and it smoothed out; put thing back down and it was
choppy.  I think I set things to 48% and then up the brightness some to
compensate, and things are pretty good now.  Just the occasional studder on
fades for the most part.  Haven't tried going higher than that to see how
things go.

Anyway, I'd be curious to find out the contrast/brightness settings of
others and to see if it worsens for others at lower contrast settings.  I
don't know that will really tell us, but maybe it would give something for
the ivtv or myth guys to work with...

Other pertinent info...
Asus Pundit
Celeron 2.2
512 MB RAM
Seagate Barracude 7200 8M cache
Ebay OEM PVR-250 using svideo in.
KnoppMyth r4(same results with Mandrake 9.1 and Gentoo)

Tim