[mythtv-users] "watch recordings" menu -- 900 program limit?, and slow to generate

David Engel dlengel at attbi.com
Sat Nov 22 00:37:48 EST 2003

On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 03:51:41PM -0800, Eric Wemhoff wrote:
> Thanks for the patch, David.  I'm not sure if it was against the 0.11
> or 0.12 code, but I applied it to the 0.12 (which I'm now running) and
> that seemed fine.

It was actually against current CVS.

> As for the menu generation speed, it looks a tad faster with your
> patch.  Running 0.12, It went from 9.5 to 9.0 seconds (I've got the
> stopwatch out now, that's plus or minus about .05 seconds).  Call it
> a 5 percent improvement.

Well, I went for the low hanging fruit.  My next guesses would be the
time to transfer the data over the network and potential
inefficiencies of using a QMap for that many entries.  You'll have to
add some debug output to see where the biggest delay is occurring.

> I glanced at the playbackbox code and I'm having a hard time getting
> oriented, especially with the complete lack of comments describing
> what the functions do.  Are the descriptive object names spsd to be
> the comments?

No comment (pun intended :)!  I didn't write the code and just try to
follow the existing conventions.

> I could use some help:
>
> What are the showData and showDateData objects?

showData is the list of recordings keyed by title and recording
number.  showDateData is the list of recordings keyed by recording
number.

> What's a QMap .. something to do with qt?

Yes, it's a Qt container class.  Map is another name for an
associative array.  In this case, it's an array data structures
decribing a recorded program and indexed by a string.

> Is PlaybackBox::updateShowTitles doing most of the work setting up the
> list of shows?  It gets invoked from PlaybackBox::paintEvent?

No, PlaybackBox::FillList is what reads the list of recordings and
puts them into showData and showDateData.
PlaybackBox::updateShowTitles takes the data from showData or
showDateData and displays them on the screen as needed.

David
--
David Engel
dlengel at attbi.com