[mythtv-users] Looking for Capture Card Recommendations

David Boreham david_list at boreham.org
Wed Nov 19 11:11:47 EST 2003

> I have no problem with my SB Live! value edition and the Alsa mixer.  Have
> you tried upgrading alsa?

No, I'm using Mandrake 9.2 so I presume the alsa is fairly recent (0.9.6).
I bet that given sufficient time, and persistence I could get it
to work, but it's already exceeded the time I'm willing to spend
messing about. There are 30 sliders in the mixer for the SB Live!...

If you could post your configuration (output from amixer)
I'll see if I can reproduce it on my hardware.

> Careful; From what I understand, the bttv cards that capture audio (mostly?)
> use btaudio,
> which I think only does 32000Hz sampling, and you'll need to make sure all
> your settings
> (in myth and sound out) agree with this, it's been the source of many a
> complaint on the list.  I have no idea if the low sampling equates to lower
> sound quality either.  However, multiple tuners would be a bonus, and much
> cheaper than multiple pvr250's.  If you can find one on eBay though, I have
> a 250 and it's like a dream compared to the analog tuners I've used in the
> past :-)

Hmm...so it sounds like the 250 is the way to go.
Just to clarify: the 250 has on-board sound capture, yes ?