[mythtv-users] RE: MPEG-2 to MPEG-4 Transcoding comparisons

Augustin Chan auchan at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 18 17:41:24 EST 2003

Bringing up an old thread -

Anyway, the default bitrate for transcoding to MPEG4 is 1500, not 2200, which
would explain the difference in file size between what he remembers and what he
currently sees.

Half hour shows for me now size out to around 380MB, 1 hour shows about 770MB.

A general question for those who are DivX/Encoding savvy:

I notice when viewing a DVD-ripped avi file, that they use very very small
bitrates (on the order of 700 to 800).  And yet the quality is excellent.  I
was unable to replicate this quality when initially doing the encode at 6000
MPEG2 and transcoding to MPEG4/800 kbps.  Is this a function of the software
doing the transcode?  Is this what the 'use high quality encoding' checkbox
will do for me?

=====
Augustin Chan
auchan at yahoo.com