[mythtv-users] Mobo options?

Ben Curtis fmstratk at coronium.com
Tue Nov 18 16:28:05 EST 2003

So, I'm one of the not-so-proud kt133 owners and am just going to replace
this mobo.  I'd like to stick with the Athlon XP 2100+ and PC2100 RAM I
have for now.  From searching the list and the pvrhw database, I've come
up with this list so far:

Chaintech 7NIF2  $85
http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/eng/product_spec.asp?MPSNo=13&PISNo=15
This is what Jared used in his guide.  However, I'm curious, since it is
micro-atx and only has 3 pci slots, can I use the AGP and top PCI slot at
the same time?  Uses NVIDIA nForce2 IGP + nForce2 MCP.  I'm not too keen
on the Micro-ATX, but if its sure to work...  Integrated GeForce4 MX, but
I duno about TVout.  Is there a full sized version of this board?

MSI KT4V  $60
http://www.msicomputer.com/product/detail_spec/product_detail.asp?model=KT4VL&search_text=KT4V
Rated a 10 on the hardware DB.  But I've read some issues online about
overheating chips on this board.  Not sure if it's really that bad or not.
This is a VIA chipset (newer though, KT400).  What are the possibilities
of DMA errors on it?

ASUS A7N8X-VM $91
http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socketa/a7n8x-vm/overview.htm
on the hardware DB (A7N8X, this one is an upgrade, has onboard LAN).  A
non via audio chipset, so I'd have to redo Alsa. Uses the nVidia nForce2
IGP chipset.  Also has integrated GeForce 4 MX.

I really like the ASUS, but I'm leaning toward the MSI because of price
(1/3rd less), unless someone tells me otherwise or produces another good
alternative.

Thanks!
Ben