[mythtv-users] pixelview PV878P+ rev 9d; still have audio problems

Mike B mikezero1 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 17 21:47:04 EST 2003

I could really use any information possible concerning this tv capture card.
  I am still unable to capture audio.

I can get sound to play by connecting the 'audio out' line from my pixelview
tv card to the 'line in' on my sound card.  I can watch tv fine, all the
channels work, remote w/ lirc works, everything is great for wtaching tv.
To get tv working fine I use bttv options card=37 tuner=2.  This seems to be
the only combo that works flawlessly when I go through my sound card's 'line
in'.  However I have read to use option card=72 with this pixelview card,
but some channels get no audio that way.

However, when I try to capture audio or video+audio like this, using
/dev/dsp/, it causes mythtv, xawtv, or streamer to crash and I have to kill
them.

I have also tried to use the btaudio module, as I have heard this card works
with it.  Trying to capture on dsp1 causes crash, trying to capture on dsp2
is slightly better with streamer, streamer doesn't crash and the file it
creates is of the appropriate length, but there is no sound.  I have never
been able to watch tv with audio using btaudio either, any help with this
would also be appreciated.

The only two things I can really think to mess with are the options given
when bttv (and btaudio) are loaded, so any suggestions here would be
appreciated.  Also when using btaudio, should I plug the 'audio out' on the
pixelview tv card to the 'audio in' on the same card?

MikeyB

relevant output from lspci:

00:07.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. AC97 Audio
Controller (rev 20)
00:0b.0 Multimedia video controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 (rev 11)
00:0b.1 Multimedia controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 (rev 11)

output from dmesg:

bttv: driver version 0.7.107 loaded
bttv: using 4 buffers with 2080k (8320k total) for capture
bttv: Host bridge is VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8363/8365 [KT133/KM133]
bttv: Host bridge is VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 [Apollo Super ACPI]
bttv: Bt8xx card found (0).
PCI: Found IRQ 10 for device 00:0b.0
PCI: Sharing IRQ 10 with 00:07.2
PCI: Sharing IRQ 10 with 00:07.3
PCI: Sharing IRQ 10 with 00:0b.1
bttv0: Bt878 (rev 17) at 00:0b.0, irq: 10, latency: 32, mmio: 0xd8001000
bttv0: using: BT878(Prolink PixelView PlayT) [card=37,insmod option]
i2c-dev.o: Registered 'bt848 #0' as minor 3
i2c-core.o: adapter bt848 #0 registered as adapter 3.
bttv0: using tuner=2
bttv0: i2c: checking for TDA9875 @ 0xb0... not found
bttv0: i2c: checking for TDA7432 @ 0x8a... not found
i2c-core.o: driver i2c TV tuner driver registered.
tuner: chip found @ 0xc2
tuner: type set to 2 (Philips NTSC (FI1236,FM1236 and compatibles))
i2c-core.o: client [Philips NTSC (FI1236,FM1236 and] registered to adapter
[bt848 #0](pos. 0).
bttv0: PLL: 28636363 => 35468950 .. ok
bttv0: registered device video0
bttv0: registered device vbi0
lirc_gpio (-1): card type 0x25, id 0x0
lirc_gpio (0): driver registered
bttv0: PLL can sleep, using XTAL (28636363).
btaudio: driver version 0.7 loaded [digital+analog]
PCI: Found IRQ 10 for device 00:0b.1
PCI: Sharing IRQ 10 with 00:07.2
PCI: Sharing IRQ 10 with 00:07.3
PCI: Sharing IRQ 10 with 00:0b.0
btaudio: Bt878 (rev 17) at 00:0b.1, irq: 10, latency: 32, mmio: 0xd8002000
btaudio: using card config "default"
btaudio: registered device dsp1 [digital]
btaudio: registered device dsp2 [analog]
btaudio: registered device mixer1