[mythtv-users] Satellite receiver options and low speed data connection

Jason Hunt jhunt at akula.org
Mon Nov 17 17:20:41 EST 2003

Greetings,

I am looking into purchasing a second satellite receiver, so I can watch and
record something else at the same time.  My current receiver is a Hughes
GAEBO, but does not have a low speed data connection.

I use SBC Home Entertainment which is a feed of DirecTV, and only the
following models are listed as supported:

HUGHES GAEB0A-GCEB0A
HUGHES GAEB0-GCEB0
SONY SAT-A55 / SAT-B55
SONY SAT-A50 / SAT-B50
SONY SAT-A4 / SAT-B3

Does anyone have any experience with the above models, and have a
recommendation on which is a better choice.

My second question is about the low speed data connection.  If I get a
receiver that actually has one of these (appears the Sony's do), will I
still need an IR blaster, or can I just hook a serial cable to the low speed
data connection and perform the channel changes that are required to record
a scheduled program via the linux box?

Thanks for any help.