[mythtv-users] OT: lirc-0.7.0pre2 installation confusion

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Mon Nov 17 15:05:44 EST 2003

I posted this on the lirc list, but that list doesn't get much action
so I thought I would send it here too.

I had a thread on lirc about trying to get lirc working with my Hauppauge
350 grey remote. Someone was trying to help me, but I was not able to get
it working on that machine. So, I installed RH9 another machine and I'm
trying to get it working. I find the instructions on the lirc web site
confusing.

I run ./setup.sh and go through the setup. When I run "Save
Configuration & Run Configure" I get a message back at the end that I
need the kernel module and run 'make' and 'make install'. If I run make
right here I just get errors.

So I add the alias line to /etc/modules.conf per the lirc site:
alias char-major-61 lirc_driver
Then restart.

If I run the setup again I get the same thing. What am I supposed to do? I
have not installed anything but the OS on this machine. I figured once I got
lirc working then I would move on with mythtv, etc.

Help is appreciated. Thanks,
James