[mythtv-users] inexpensive frontend?

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Mon Nov 17 13:36:31 EST 2003

On Monday 17 November 2003 13:15, Lance Tost wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Brian Foddy wrote:
> > You're right on the cusp.  I have a P2-450 (dual, but thats not
> > important for this) and using the pvr250, it can display a 512x480
> > non-deinterlaced picture.
>
> I thought the PVR-250 was hardware *encoding* only?  I don't care
> about encoding for this box.  I simply want to watch what I've
> recorded and maybe some livetv.

The point is, his dual P2-450 is good enough to decode the recordings
produced by the PVR-250.  But, to echo a previous post, you'd be
pushing your machine pretty hard... I'd recommend a little more wiggle
room, like a P-III in the 600-800MHz range (unless you go with a
PVR-x50 in the backend and some form of HW decoding in the frontend).
Actually, if you're looking to spend only $150 per frontend, why not
look into an X-box?

-JAC