[mythtv-users] inexpensive frontend?

Brian Foddy bfoddy at visi.com
Mon Nov 17 12:59:08 EST 2003

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Lance Tost wrote:

> I'd like to put together a couple frontends for 2 rooms in my house as
> inexpensively as possible.  I've checked the hardware database but it's
> painful to look at every entry tryign to find frontend-only
> configurations.  Searching for "frontend" only returns 6 entries... 2 of
> which are in the Mhz area that I'm hoping to be in  (under 700Mhz) but
> they don't give many details.
>
> What I'm hoping for is to put a frontend on a 400-500Mhz box with 128MB of
> RAM, a NIC and some sort of tv-out (preferably built-in) at a low-cost
> (under $150).  Should this be anough horsepower for a frontend-only box?
>
> Thanks

You're right on the cusp.  I have a P2-450 (dual, but thats not important
for this) and using the pvr250, it can display a 512x480 non-deinterlaced
picture.
If you could get to a 600-700 p3
machine, I think you would be a lot happier.  Check out a used machine
at pcsurplusonline.com or something like that.

Brian