[mythtv-users] Re:LVM & Disk Performance

Ben Curtis fmstratk at coronium.com
Mon Nov 17 10:45:44 EST 2003

> Well actually back in the ata33/66 days this was true, but from what I
> understand all modern ata100/133 controllers have resolved this problem.
> In the case here you have to either have the two hard drives on the same
> channel or a hard drive and cdrom on the same channel. I would say that
> the layout you have suggested would be the best.

I thought the same thing.  Since the induction of 80 wire cables, there
really shouldn't be any chain issues even with him using the slave drive
on the same chain as the main drive unless he's taxing both to their full
extent at the same time.

It's more likely that the drive isn't defualting something correctly, like
DMA mode for instance.  What do you get from the following commands on
both drives:

hdparm /dev/hda
hdparm -Tt /dev/hda

Replace hda with whichever two you use, hda and hdb probably. (or hdc if
you've already moved the drive to the second chain).  The first command
will tell you what modes are set, the second will do some read speed
tests.

Ben