[mythtv-users] MythTV .nuv files

Nelson Butterworth red_five at charter.net
Sat Nov 15 23:51:29 EST 2003

Jason Hunt wrote:

>Greetings,
>
>Ok, this is probably a stupid question, but I am a total newbie to MythTV.
>
>Anyway, I just recorded my first program with my PVR-350!  I noticed during
>this recording, my processor NEVER went over .9% CPU recording at 720x480 on
>a p3 1ghz.  Man, I thought it would take a bigger hit than that.
>
>Anyway, I haven't played it yet, so I can't tell how it looks yet.  My
>questions is about this .nuv file it creates.  Is there a way to get MythTV
>to convert this to .mpg after it is done?  Or is there an option to record
>as a .mpg instead of a .nuv.  Any help clearing this up would be
>appreciated.  Thanks guys

No need. The PVR-350 encodes the video straight to MPEG-2 in hardware,
so the only thing that your CPU has to do is essentially a file transfer
from the card's memory to disk. File storage is rather low-overhead, so
very little CPU use.

The .nuv file is actually an MPEG-2 file, but MythTV still saves it at a
.nuv file, so no conversion is required, even if you want to burn to DVD
or (S)VCD. You can even watch the files in Windows; just tell Windows
that .nuv files should be opened by your viewer of choice, and you
shouldn't have a problem. The viewer will usually be able to tell that
it's an MPEG data stream regardless of the extension.

Nelson