[mythtv-users] ALSA Install Problem - Jarod's Guide

Aleaxander alex at carbonated.com
Sat Nov 15 20:56:12 EST 2003

Jarod C. Wilson wrote:

>> 3) [root at mythtv mythtv] # apt-get install alsa-kmdl-$KERNEL
>> Reading Package Lists... Done
>> Building Dependency Tree... Done
>> Package alsa-kmdl is not installed, so not removed
>> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 removed and 14 not upgraded.
>> (again seems okay?)
>

> It looks like you didn't have $KERNEL properly set, because the package
> isn't alsa-kmdl, it is alsa-kmdl-2.4.20-20_29.rh9.at.

Okay, I admit that I'm lost at this point.  How do I set $KERNEL
properly.  Is this part of "# export KERNEL='uname -r'", or am I totally
off track?  If I'm on track, in this case what is the line that I would
enter to set the $KERNEL properly?:

# export KERNEL='kmdl-2.4.20-20_29.rh9.at -r'

I tried the above, but when I ran: #apt-get install alsa-kmdl-$KERNEL, I
received the following error:

E: Command line option 'r' [from -r] is not known

>> 4) [root at mythtv mythtv] # apt-get install alsa-driver alsa-utils
>> Reading Package Lists... Done
>> Building Dependency Tree... Done
>> The following extra packages will be installed:
>>     alsa-kmdl-2.4.20-20.9 kernel #2.4.20-20.9
>> strictdep-kernel-kmdl-2.4.20-20.9
>> The following NEW packages will be installed:
>>     alsa-driver alsa-kmdl-2.4.20-20.9 alsa-utilskernel at 2.4.20-20.9
>>     strictep-kernel-kmdl-2.4.20-20.9
>> 0 upgraded, 5 newly installed, 0 removed and 14 not upgraded.
>> Need to get 15.4MB of archives.
>> After unpacking 39.2MB of additional disk space will be used.
>> Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y    (hit y)
>> ...   (gets a bunch of stuff)
>> Fetched 15.4MB in 1m36s (160kB/s)
>> Executing RPM (-ivh)...
>> Preparing...   ################################## [100%]
>>     1. Strictdep-kernel-kmdl-2###################### [ 25%]
>>     2. alsa-kmdl-2.4.20-20.9  ###################### [ 50%]
>>     3. alsa-driver                    ###################### [ 75%]
>>     4. alsa-utils                       ###################### [100%]
>> E: Sub-process /bin/rpm returned an error code (1)
>

> Since you didn't get the right kmdl up above, apt is attempting to solve
> the problem on its own. Go back and get the right kernel module
> installed (reset that KERNEL variable before doing anymore updating, and
> note that I mention you'll always have to reset it after a reboot).

I'm guessing that the area where you mention that a variable will not
survive reboot was under "7. Get and install custom ATrpms kernel".  If
that is so, then I think where I got confused in the guide was that you
said "Those running uniprocessor systems and standard kernel can skip to
the next section", which I think describes me (Athlon 2000 XP on an Abit
AT7; only one processor?), so I failed to note when later you said, "And
please note: this variable will NOT survive a reboot".

Hopefully, I'm somewhat on the right track, but I can't figure out
exactly what command I need to issue to actually reset the Kernel
variable and proceed.

> Cygwin and/or Putty are your friends if you're on a Windows machine. Use
> them to ssh into your MythTV box, and do all this from there. Then you
> can copy and paste from the Cygwin or Putty window. If you're on a Mac
> OS X machine or another Linux machine, you already have everything you
> need to ssh in, then copy and paste while doing everything on your
> workstation.

Great information!  Although I'm planning on eventually making my Win-XP
box a dual boot Windows/Linux machine, in the meantime I was hoping to
find a way to do some sort of "remote desktop" between my main machine
and the mythtv machine, but I had no idea where to start.  I will
definately chack out Cygwin and Putty.

Sorry if I seem like an idiot with these questions, but I really am new
to all this, and I am doing searches of the web, the mythtv-users
mailing list archives and a book on "Using Linux" before I send e-mails.
  I am very much interested in learning the in's-and-out's of both
MythTV and Linux, not just getting it up and running once.  It's
difficult going from being a Master of Windows to the Linux Idiot, but
I've never been afraid to start over.

Thanks again,

-Aleaxnader

P.S. Axel - Is this e-mail also in HTML format?  I've checked my
settings, and it looks like it should be sending in Plain Text now.