[mythtv-users] Re: FX5200 for Mythtv?

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sat Nov 15 00:39:24 EST 2003

On Nov 12, 2003, at 13:30, Ben Curtis wrote:

>> What are people's thoughts of this versus the MX boards? I'm using an
>> MX SE 420 with Tvout (I believe it's the onboard NV17) and the quality
>> of color is horrendous. Terrible saturation makes video very messy,
>> and
>> with mplayer I can correct but not Myth so I'm seeking a replacement
>> (and recommendations!)

There are ways to do color correction in Myth also.

> I've got a 5200FX.  Don't plan on using APT for installing new kernels
> if
> you get it.  When you first install RedHat, you have to install in text
> mode because the VESA Xwin driver doesn't work with the 5200FX.  After
> the
> first boot, you'll install the nVidia drivers, then reset the runlevel
> 5 and it works.
>
> BUT, installing the APT kernel promptly makes the Xwin driver fail.
> One
> of the install docs for RedHat states this, too.

Um, that's because the driver is tied to the kernel version. You build
a kernel module for your kernel, and if you change your kernel, you no
longer have a kernel module for your kernel. Simply recompile the
nVidia driver after installing and booting the new kernel, and presto,
it works again. Magic, eh?

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...