[mythtv-users] Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-250 no video

Joe Buehl jbuehl0001 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 14 20:06:58 EST 2003

I finally got this to work after 2 days of beating my head against the wall.

After installing the card and configuring MythTV everything except mythfrontend was able to play video from the card successfully.  I could play video using mplayer from /dev/video0, from a "cat /dev/video0 >" file, and even from the ring buffer file while mythtv was running.  I ran mythtvsetup, chose the option to clear the capture card settings, and reentered the new card data.  I tried 2 different video drivers, both with xv and without.  I changed screen resolution.  I messed with ivtv driver settings.  I changed individual entries in the MythTV data base that looked relevant.  None of this had any effect.  Finally, I deleted the data base and reconfigured everything and that's when it started working.

I can't say exactly what the problem was but I don't think that the "Would you like to clear all capture card settings..." option is really clearing all the settings.  If you swap your video card it's probably worth your time to completely delete the MythTV data base and start from scratch.

Sorry, I didn't save a copy of the old data base for someone to debug this.