[mythtv-users] mythtv: could not open config file

Mark McKelvey memckelvey at comcast.net
Wed Nov 12 17:38:43 EST 2003

I have installed 0.12 from Jarod's guide and ATRPMS, and it's all
working, apart from transcoding (which I can live without for now).
Many thanks!

I'm curious about an error that is returned to the console when I
launch mythfrontend:

[mythtv at toybox mythtv]$ mythfrontend
2003-11-10 21:04:52 Enabled verbose msgs : important general
mythtv: could not open config file
mythtv: No such file or directory
Failed to init /home/mythtv/.mythtv/lircrc for mythtv
generating cache image for: /usr/share/mythtv/themes/default/blank.png
Couldn't save cache image:
/home/mythtv/.mythtv/themecache/blue.640.480/blank.png

It seems to be non-fatal, but I do see a flash of a progress bar across
the screen when myhfrontend comes up, which I presume to be related to
the regeneration of the cache image it says it can't save.

Looked like a permissions problem, so I have chmod 777'd all the
directories I can think of.  I tried removing and re-installing the
database, according to the how-to, but no change.

lirc works fine, and I have no problems recording, watching live tv,
importing music CDs, or watching/ripping dvds at the 'perfect' setting.
  My DVD transcodes quit without an error message that I can see
(mtd.log shows that transcodes completed successfully), and I wonder
whether it's a related problem.

I have searched the forum archives for this problem and found the error
output in three other threads, but in each case these errors were not
the subject of the thread and were not addressed.

Can anyone tell me whether they have this same problem, and whether it
is fixable?

Thanks for helping a newbie - MMcK