[mythtv-users] Abilities of the VIA motherboards

bpierce815 at charter.net bpierce815 at charter.net
Wed Nov 12 13:42:25 EST 2003

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 12:16:09 -0600
  "Chris Ward" <cward at go-integral.com> wrote:
>about a 6 fairly consistantly. Is it fair to assume that
>the numbers are before the recent update in drivers?
>Would people rate them better now?

I would hold off on your judgement of the new drivers as
so far, I am the only one who has seen these drivers
perform vastly better than the old ones.  I have not seen
where anyone else has tried them out.  And 1 person does
not constitute a consensus.

>Also, do the current issues of output limitations from
>the music visualizations and dvd's and divix that I have
>read about when using the PVR350 also apply to the video
>out on the VIA boards?

I have never seen the output of the PVR350 so I cannot say
how it works.  The observations that I have seen on the
PVR250 - video playback is fantastic with MPEG2.  I have
not seen playback of MPEG4/DIVX yet.  The Visualizations
work, however if you view them in full screen mode, some
of them can become CPU intensive and slow the
visualizations down.  This does not seem to affect audio
playback, however.

>I see that a few people on the list do use these boards,
>so I was wondering what they thought of the capabilities
>of them vs a full computer system. They are certainly a
>lot smaller and cheaper (and lower CPU freq) if you are
>buying a system from scratch.

I would only use this motherboard for specialized
applications.  From my observations, It seems much too
slow to use as a Desktop or Workstation PC, ie.. opening
mozilla takes forever.  There are also many other "All in
One" mobo's that are similarly priced with a socketA that
can be used with AMD chipsets.

Hope I helped answer your questions.

-Ben