[mythtv-users] Questions on Myth TV

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Wed Nov 12 10:24:34 EST 2003

On Wednesday 12 November 2003 09:16, Nick Breau wrote:
> Hi All,
>

> I have spent the weekend researching MythTV and have a few
> questions....
>

> I'm trying to setup MythTV as cheaply as possible. If I went with the
> VIA M1000 micro-ATX will that do the trick in terms of processor
> power and video/sound requirements for basic PVR functionality ? So
> with this mobo all I would need to get is a hard drive, RAM, dvd-rom
> and case/powersupply ?

Well, you need a tuner card.  With that mobo/cpu (btw, the VIA Epia
boards are mini-ITX, not micro-ATX), you'd probably want at least a
PVR-250 or equivalent (Hauppauge Freestyle, AverMedia M170).  You could
use the Epia's on-board MPEG decoder, but reports indicate it's not
that great... most people have reported great success with the PVR-350
w/its TV-out.

> Will MythTV be able to change the channels on my digital cable box
> (rogers digital cable in canada) ? how would I accomplish this ? I'm
> thinking/guessing it can be done through the serial port on the
> device or via IR (remote control emulation?)  I think the digital
> cable box is made by general instruments.

Right; those are your 2 options, assuming the serial port on your cable
box is enabled.

> Would I run into any problems running Linux RH 9 ?

Shouldn't be a problem.

-JAC