[mythtv-users] PVR-350 TV out

Chris Delis chris at delis.net
Wed Nov 12 00:10:18 EST 2003

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Benjamin Rutt wrote:

> Does the TV-out (the S-video output, as I understand) from the PVR-350
> card (when using the hardware decoder in MythTV) just work?  Or does
> it require lots of tweaking of the XF86Config file in order to get the
> picture looking decent?  I'm just wondering since I'm considering
> purchasing a PVR-350 and wanted to know how well the TV-out would
> work.  I have a 4:3 NTSC 27" TV, and I really want MythTV's output to
> make it over to the TV.  Background:  I previously spent about 3 hours
> trying to get my Geforce2 GTS card to output a decent picture to my
> TV, and finally gave up, since the TV picture was always poor (it
> didn't fill the entire screen, or was curved near the corners of the
> screen).
>
> I understand there is some ongoing development to get the MythTV menus
> to be displayed via the TV out, but I'm mainly concerned about the
> MPEG->TV conversion.  Thanks for any advice,

The instructions in ivtv-fb.c worked for me.  It fills the whole TV screen
and didn't require any configuration tweaking whatsoever.  The quality
of the TVOUT has been discussed on this list before.  Most (all?) were
impressed with the quality.  I, for one, can not tell the difference
between the original broadcast and MythTV.