[mythtv-users] Any tips for using VNC with Myth?

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Tue Nov 11 10:34:28 EST 2003

On Tuesday 11 November 2003 09:46, Romel Llarena wrote:
> I've had to shuttle my mythbox between my TV and
> computer display every time I need to do a fix or
> tweak. I thought I'd give VNC a shot, setting my Myth
> box as the server and my XP laptop running 802.11b as
> the client.
>
> When I run it though, all I get is the command prompt
> window. I tried startx but it didn't work. Any
> suggestions/tips for running VNC with MythTV?

Your VNC session is probably falling back to a default window manager +
an xterm.  You should be able to run any command you want from the
xterm (e.g., 'mozilla').  If the window you see doesn't have a title
bar or border, then you're not running a window manager, so you would
need to start one, such as 'mwm &' or 'startkde &'.  You *don't* need
to run 'startx', as X is already running, or you wouldn't be seeing a
VNC client session!

You should be able to specify programs for VNC to run at startup by
putting them into the file ${HOME}/.vnc/xstartup

-JAC