[mythtv-users] Cheap MPEG cards

Jason Schloer schloer.jason at tangoinc.com
Tue Nov 11 09:23:30 EST 2003

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Chris Pinkham
Sent: Monday, November 10, 2003 12:09 AM
To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Cheap MPEG cards

> > and audio is working!
>
> Damn good timing! Any idea yet how well one WinTV PVR-250 and one
> AVerMedia M179 will play together? I'd like to keep using the Hauppauge
> remote (since I've been too lazy and/or busy to set up an IRMan w/a
> better universal remote). In any case, I'm very glad to hear the news.
> I'll happily do some testing once my cards get in. :)

I don't think there will be any issues.  I have 3 M179 cards myself along
with a PVR-250 so I might throw them all in the same system at one point.
I've got the yuan patch with M179 mods applied to latest cvs so I can
generate a patch for people to use once I've verified things are working
right.  I should get that done Monday night, didn't have as much time as I
planned tonight to work on it.

> Huh, so AVerMedia takes a slightly different approach than those
> tight-lipped unmentionables at Hauppauge. Good to hear. I anxiously
> await the arrival of my cards and the incorporation of your driver
> mods! Eeexxxcellent, Pinkham... (a la Mr. Smithers)

I think the mods will have to remain as a patch for now until tmk finishes
the changes he's working on to allow supporting multiple type cards (ie,
Hauppauge, yuan, AVerMedia, etc.).  The patch applied pretty clean even
to current CVS so I don't think that will be a big issue.

AVerMedia has been very helpful.  I emailed their feedback and sales
departments less than 2 weeks ago and was told a few days later that my
reqeuest for info had been forwarded to headquarters in Taiwan.  About
the same day I received an email from an R&D manager in Taiwan saying that
they are supportive of Open Source PVR/DVR software development and that I
could direct technical questions to him.  We exchanged a few emails and he
was able to provide me with information indicating which bits were used
with GPIO to set the various audio options.  I'm glad and hope they see
benefits from their stance in the future.

--

Chris

This looks pretty cool. I'm a little leery about the seller though. The only
feedback I see comes from items they bought at $10 or less. Has anyone had
any dealings with the seller yet? I'm very interested in buying and will
probably contact him, but was wondering what other peoples' opinions were.
Thanks everyone,
-Jason