[mythtv-users] Commercial Skip Questions

John P. Poet john at BlueSkyTours.com
Mon Nov 10 16:34:39 EST 2003

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Chris Pinkham wrote:

> > I actually like seeing the first and last second or two of the commercial
> > block.  Lets me know that it is not accidentally skipping over a section of
> > the program.  I can see why this would not be desired if the goal is to
> > permanently cut the commercial blocks from the file, however.
> >
> > My ReplayTV's commercial skipping works that way.
>
> Maybe it's not as accurate as my MythTV detection code. ;)  I added a note
> to my TODO list to either not skip the blank frames at the beginning and
> ending of a commercial break or to make it a settable option.  I have heard
> several other people mention this as well and it probably does flow better
> if there's a couple blank frames so it looks like a normal scene change
> rather than an abrupt scene change where the commercials were.

I really hope the ReplayTV commercial skipping is NOT as accurate as your
code.  The ReplayTV is quite good, but has problems in almost the same way
people are reporting problems with yours.  I am actually not sure if there
is a way to make it perfect.

I love my ReplayTVs.  They are very reliable, and have some great features.
However, they are missing some features I would like to see.

In some cases MythTV already has features which are missing from ReplayTV.
In other cases MythTV is missing features which the ReplayTV has.

One of the things that really interests me with MythTV, is the ability for
*me* to go in a "fix" or add features.  I am a C++ programmer by trade, so
it is just a matter of figuring out how all the MythTV code goes together.

I also really want an HDTV PVR.  I am watching the development of the pcHDTV
integration with great interest.  Unfortunately, I have never written a
device driver, so I don't know if I will be able to help much in that area.

John