[mythtv-users] Questions about MythTv

Robert J Martin jakedakat at comcast.net
Sun Nov 9 08:26:45 EST 2003

Hey all, I just had some questions about MythTV and what it can do
before I install it. Currently I am using MyHTPC for my htpc in my
living room, but I am am running into video playback problems and
generally just sick of windows its self.The video problems I am having
is that I can't playback xvid encoded videos. And its not a hardware
issue cause I can play the videos back fine with xine under mandrake
9.1. So I figured I would check MythTv out. Here is what I would like to
do with MythTv...

1. Play mp3s <---what I use my htpc mainly for. Currently I have myhtpc
setup like a jukebox where I am able to browse through the mp3s with
album covers displayed,
    and able to shuffle through the whole collection. Also I would like
to be able to have visualizations displayed.
2. Play videos (divx,xvid mainly)

Hehe so really not that much :) Also this is the following hardware I
have so if you see any problems I might run into that would be great!

Athlon 1.9
256 ddr
ati rage fury pro 128 <---using svideo out to tv
soundblaster audigy
streamzap usb pc remote
Mandrake 9.1 <---the linux distro I am most familar with

Ok thanks in advance for any help.

Rob