[mythtv-users] /dev/dsp device or resource busy ??

Seth Lake caver at verizon.net
Sat Nov 8 07:56:11 EST 2003

it looks like Mandrake 9.1 has OSS stock, which was working alright for me (besides only being allowed 1 program to use the device at a time) but i'm running into problems getting programs like ogle to work, they want ALSA.  also, i'm told ALSA has better sound quality anyhow.  been beating my head against this machine for almost a week now.  anyways...

i get a '/dev/dsp device or resource busy' error message all the time now.  a 'fuser -v /dev/dsp' shows nothing.  'top' shows that aplay is hogging resources on programs that try to wait for the device to become un-busy (like mplayer).  aplay uses 90%+ for awhile and then sometimes it kicks in (mplayer starts working and plays the video file normally) after awhile (sometimes mplayer sits there for over 30 minutes before it starts up!).  mythtv just dies 90% of the time and miraculously works 10% with no changes at all in the environment.  when it does work i get these nasty vertical lines with my latest IVTV CVS, but that's another story.

anyone have any clues for me?  i've checked permissions (755 on /dev/dsp and /dev/sound/*), i've renamed /usr/bin/artsd and /usr/bin/artsdsp because i've read that they can cause problems.  i do not need a bi-directional card (although it should be, i would imagine) because i'm using a pvr-250.

Mandrake 9.1 / 2.4.21-0.25mdk kernel
Celeron 500 / 256MB
PVR-250
Soundblaster PCI128 (ens1371 chip)