[mythtv-users] PVR 350 quick questions

m0j0.j0j0 m0j0 at foofus.net
Fri Nov 7 17:56:24 EST 2003

On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 16:12, Jim Paris wrote:
> > Could you please explain what 'the tv-out framebuffer is not!" (fast
> > enough) means, and what that means practicaly? What is your
> > understanding of what the PVR-350 could not do that others cards
> > can.
>
> The PVR-350 provides a framebuffer device that's intended for use as
> video overlay.  Writing to it is plenty fast for drawing menus and
> overlaid text and images, but not fast enough for displaying
> full motion video from the PC.  What this means practically is that
> you can use the PVR-350's hardware decoder to decode and display
> MPEG-2 video, but you will not be able to use the computer to decode
> any other formats.
>
> -jim

On the IVTV list there was some talk of potentially doing quick YUV
transfers to the device for output, rather than MPEG. Unfortunately, I'm
fairly clueless here. Could you (or anyone for that matter) clue me in
to what that means?

Based on your email it's looking to me like the PVR350 TV-OUT is only
useful if you plan only to use Myth for watching TV. If you ever wish to
use Xmame or other graphics heavy app, you need a normal TV-out video
card. Am I missing anything?

Thanks,
Joe