[mythtv-users] small form factor PCs?

Jeff Noxon jeff-mythtv at planetfall.com
Fri Nov 7 13:07:36 EST 2003

I have a Shuttle SB65G2.  It would be extremely quiet except for the power
supply, which has two 40mm fans, one front and one back.  I do not see
the point of having two fans, and my plan is to remove the one inside the
case, and replace the back 40mm fan with a quieter one.  I really like
the machine overall.  I have spent a lot of time building quiet PC's
with all sorts of exotic techniques, and this one is going to require
a lot less tinkering than most to get it below the threshold of hearing.

Unfortunately the shuttle PSU is proprietary (220W, PFC) and spares are not
available online yet.  I am inclined to wait until I can get a spare before
I do too much more tinkering :)

The CPU fan/heatpipe arrangement works very well at the low speed, and has
the advantage of using an 80mm fan.

Regards,

Jeff