[mythtv-users] voodoo3 overscan modelines

Dennis Lou dlou99 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 7 12:07:09 EST 2003

From: Jim Paris <jim at jtan.com>
<michael at insightfulminds.com>
>> I am trying to get my voodoo3 tv-out to overscan
>to get rid of the black
>> borders on my tv, but I can't get nvtv to work
>>and that sf.net forum is
>> totally dead. Does anyone have overscan
>>modelines that work for them?

>Nvtv works on Nvidia cards only.

I don't know where you got that idea.  It's
mentioned in the FAQ and the changelog here:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/nv-tv-out/

and it works pretty well on my machine, with
the exception below...

On my particular Voodoo3 card (a Compaq OEM, not
the STB/3dfx branded one), XV was doing strange
things at 640x480, so I had to run X11 at 800x600.
I then told nvtv to tv-out at 640x480.  This resulted
in the TV showing only the upper left 640x480 section
of the 800x600 X desktop.  Then I went in to mythtv's
setup and set the size to use only that upper
left portion and fine-tuned the size until it
looked right on my TV.

I suppose you could also tell nvtv to output 800x600
large, but 640x480 looked best on my particular TV.

-Dennis