[mythtv-users] Re: mythtv-users Digest, Vol 10, Issue 20

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu Nov 6 17:23:23 EST 2003

On Thursday 06 November 2003 17:11, barryrs at hobosjunkyard.com wrote:
> Good afternoon,
>
> and you guessed it, I'm new here. I've spent a considerable amount of
> time the last few days gathering hardware information to build a
> mythtv system.
>
> I thought I might ask a few questions. (probably not new ones...)
>

> 1. Do you think the following components will work? (see just below)
>  The motherboard has onboard video - for monitor support (minimal)
> 2. Can the PVR-350 do most of the work? - video in/out, etc.
>    (I know support for this card is new, I just want to understand.)
>
> DFI AZ30-TL Socket A Motherboard with Athlon XP 2000+ Processor
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?
> EdpNo=669607&Sku=MBM-AZ30-2000&CatId=188
>
> Hauppauge WinTV-PVR 350 model 990
> http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10340586
>
> 3. What do you think of the audio? satisfactory?
> 4. 1/2 height tuner cards? anyone know of any? The slim design cases
> at http://www.directron.com  would look really cool.
>
> Thanks for listening, hope a decent configuration comes of this.
> -Barry-

Well, I don't know if there are any compatibility issues with the
motherboard, but assuming there aren't, with the PVR-350 you don't need
the onboard video or sound.  (Well, you'll probably want the onboard
video to actuall *install* your system, but you won't need it once you
get Myth working with the 350's TV-out).

The PVR-x50 cards don't come in half-height, AFAIK.  I think there might
be a couple of analog half-height tuners out there, though.  Pretty
hard to find half-height anything in the video world.  (Sound cards &
NICs, no problem)

-JAC