[mythtv-users] Newbie problems I am still having and need help!

Sean shomann2 at insightbb.com
Wed Nov 5 13:41:28 EST 2003

Myth is still working for me. I want to say that and get it out of the way.
Through the incredible advice given to me here and elsewhere by those in the
know my system has been stable for days if not quite feature-complete. Some
things on my agenda:

1. Overscan. I use the FX 5200 series GeForce card (Chaintech). I installed
the driver with the nVidia script (as the apt-get drivers werenąt doing it)
and get the hardware acceleration for sure (less than 10% CPU load through
top when Myth is watching recorded programs). Despite working properly in
everyway I am unable to get overscan to work on the TV.
2. mythfilldatabase. I have several issues here. The first being that since
I upgraded to 0.12 I cannot run mythfilldatabase without it complaining that
the .xml file exists. I have checked and the file
home/mythtv/.mythtv/<provider>.xml IS there. The other problem is that
despite playing endlessly with the crontab suggested by Jarod, I canąt get
the system to enter the scheduled event. This seems to be serious OE here
but I am pulling my hair out trying to figure out what I am lacking to do.
3. Ogle. I supplemented Ogle as the default player so that I could get the
menus (is there a reason that Ogle isnąt the default rather than mplayer?).
However, I canąt find where I edit the Ogle config file to make the player
full screen. Also, I need to get some basic info on the proper
uninstall/install procedures as through my own error installed the wrong
version of Ogle (I need the Ogle-ALSA version since I am using ALSA, right?)
4. remote. I am NOT happy with the range and responsiveness of the ATI
Remote Wonder. This is a low priority compared to the rest.

Yes, I am using 0.12. Some of the weird issues I was seeing under 0.11 are
gone but it feels less responsive. Obviously someone has been burning the
midnight oil on the IVTV integration and development of the Hauppauge card
support. It nearly brought a tear to my eye to see selectable bitrates. Ok,
I have complained enough. I donąt really need a detailed explanation of the
above, moreover a push to the correct info. Thanks everyone!

-Sean