[mythtv-users] pcHDTV - 2 questions

Chris Huseman chris at huseman.net
Wed Nov 5 10:57:35 EST 2003

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 10:31:39PM -0800, Jarod C. Wilson wrote:
> >2.  Question 2 deals with the signal output to the
> >HDTV itself.  With my current analog stuff, I have
> >a signal converter that takes the vga and outputs
> >a std ntsc signal.  My TV can then stretch that
> >signal to a 16x9 wide mode so it covers the whole
> >screen.  My tv will not however stretch an input
> >from the component inputs, only a simple zoom.
> >So the question goes, if I hook the thing up for
> >hd signals, that implies the non-hd signals will go
> >through the same video input, and now my tv can't
> >stretch a std tv anymore.  How do I balance this?
> >I want true 16x9 hd when available, but want a
> >stretched 4x3 when not in hd.  How have people
> >handled this?  I guess I want the best of both
> >worlds.
>
> Signal converter. Ick. Bad. No good for HDTV. Get rid of that thing.
> You'll be rescaling the video once to a resolution the computer can run
> and output through it, then rescaling it again w/the converter, and in
> the end, spitting out a greatly degraded picture. That's like trying to
> display HDTV on a standard-def TV, more or less. It should be a bit
> better than NTSC, but not anywhere near as good as actual HDTV. You
> need something that can feed either Component video, DVI or VGA to your
> TV. Personally, I use Audio Authority's 9A60, outputting from my
> computer via VGA to the AA, which transcodes to component video to feed
> the component video inputs on my HDTV.

I've been considering buying the AA 9A60, but I am concerned that I
won't be able to find an acceptable modeline that works with my RPTV
(Toshiba 57H83).

How did you go about generating the modeline you use?  I've tried for
quite some time to get DVI working, but I can't even get a picture on my
TV, so I've all but given up on that front.  I figure VGA->Component is
the next best available alternative, but I'd like to have a better
feeling that this will actually work before I buy the transcoder box.

Also, if anybody has had success with a GF440MX with a DVI connection,
I'd be very interested to hear any details you care to share.

-chris