[mythtv-users] Really small backend server (Pentium 200)

John Marrett johnf at dsl.ca
Wed Nov 5 09:15:46 EST 2003

I've been looking at implementing MythTV on my home network.

I am planning to buy a EPIA ME6000 for my frontend machine. I plan to run
minimyth on it.
I was wondering how small I can make the backend machine. I have a pentium
200 'server' at home.
If I install a PVR-250 card to provide Hardware MPEG and install a ATA-133
card in the machine to drive a 160GB disk at ATA100+ speed would the
machine be able to keep up? It seems to me that it has more than enough
internal bandwidth to shuffle the 36 Mbits (1 x 12Mb write, 1 x 12Mb read,
1 x 12Mb to the network) around.
Would it be able to handle Live TV?

Would I be able to run two PVR-250 cards? With one of them doing Live TV?

How many weeks would it take to re-encode an hour long recording ;)

Has anyone else attempted this?

Thanks for your help,

-JohnF