[mythtv-users] Knoppmyth Setup

Myster Man Xsecrets at softhome.net
Wed Nov 5 09:00:26 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-05 at 07:27, jose rubio wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 14:56, ignacio at shaw.ca wrote:
>
> Ok three questions:
>
> 1. What is the command to install kde via apt?
>
> 'apt-get install kde' works for my distribution

I don't think just apt-get install kde will work for debian
distrobutions. I think you need to get kdebase kdemultimedia kdenetwork
etc.

I may be wrong on this one it's been a long time since I did my initial
install of kde on my debian box, but I searched the database and didn't
see a kde metapackage, but I may have missed it.

> 2. To get my leadtek winfast remote working, what do i do?
>
> put batteries in it?  I have no idea what you mean by this question.
> have you tried reading the how-to's?

What he is referring to here is that knoppmyth comes with lirc modules
precompiled for the hauppage grey remote. You will have to recompile
lirc for the leadtek card. there is a script that you have to run in the
lirc source dir and choose your card then make and install lirc agian.
The source is on the disk in knoppmyth, but I'm not sure where. It
should tell you in the directions. You may want to look over the forums
at mysettopbox.tv

> 3. How do i boot into kde?
>
> Depending on your distribution, with debian there is a file
> /etc/init.d/kdm and a link from /etc/rc?.d/S99kdm pointing to it.
by default knoppix uses gdm and I'm not exactly sure what file you would
change to make it boot kde instead of fvwm, but I'm sure if you posted
in the forums at the above address I'm sure you would get a quick
answer.

> The '?' is a single digit normally 3,4,and 5 (methink) meaning when you
> are in runlevel 3,4, or 5 then kdm starts at boot time.
yes indeed the number does indicate the runlevel, but it doesn't
determine if kdm starts. If the link is Sxxkdm it will start, if the
link is Kxxkdm it will not. the default runlevel in most debian
distrobutions is 2 but kdm will still start if you load it. In knoppmyth
the default runlevel is 3 and it is already set with gdm to start on
boot, which will load kde if configured properly.