[mythtv-users] ME6000 and PVR 350

Torsten Schenkel torsten.schenkel at web.de
Wed Nov 5 03:55:58 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-05 at 00:44, Clay wrote:
> This is a message mostly for Torsten S, although maybe others can chime
> in and maybe this'll even help out others.

You shouldn't address someone personally on the list. You greatly reduce
the probability of getting answers that way.

Most of your question is answered in the archives.

> Torsten, when you were running an ME6000 and just a PVR 250, you seemed
> to say that Myth ran pretty well, but with some stuttering video and
> other similar little problems.

Yes, pre 0.12 was what was best with the CLE266, 0.12 has slightly more
stutters, but this might as well be related with increased load by the
growning database. It started quite well and declined.

> Now that you have a PVR 350, how is
> your ME6000 running with Myth?

Still some stability problems, but quite usable 2-3 hangs a day, that
can mostly be remedied by restarting the frontend.

> How much better is the video out, is
> the stuttering still there, any resolved issues from before or new
> issues that have come up?

Video quality is not at all comparable with the CLE's TV-out. The
picture is better than the TV's tuner's. Best quality I've seen so far
for a PC based solution (better than the old dxr3's, and they were not
bad at all). No stuttering, cpu load is 6% for decoding 720x576
4500/600bps (this was not watchable with the cle, cle had 35% for
480x576 3000/4500bps).

> Does live TV work quickly and seamlessly, or
> are there issues there?

As long as the driver is running stable, it does. The ME6000 isn't a
numbercruncher, so expect some latency when switching channels,
especially when bringing up the osd-epg as well as when accessing
database intensive stuff like mythmusic or watch recording (where there
are large tables to read from the db). It's only a second or so for me
it gets better as the system caches parts of the db (get the bigger
RAM!)

Torsten

> Thanks a lot for your insight and help!
> clay

Config files for pvr350 tv-out and framebuffer:
http://www-isl.mach.uni-karlsruhe.de/~hi93/ivtv-pvr-350-conf.tgz