[mythtv-users] pcHDTV - 2 questions

Brian Foddy bfoddy at visi.com
Tue Nov 4 23:39:21 EST 2003

Looking at the card and how to use it
(haven't bought it yet), I have 2 questions.

1.  The spec sheet claims it supports NTSC (std tv)
signals as well as ATSC.  How is the card used for
NTSC?  ie:  for a non-hd show, can it function
like a standard analog Hauppauge card?  How good is it
for this, etc, etc.  Reason I ask is for standard
non-hd tv, do we still need to reserve space for
the old cards and their pci slots?

2.  Question 2 deals with the signal output to the
HDTV itself.  With my current analog stuff, I have
a signal converter that takes the vga and outputs
a std ntsc signal.  My TV can then stretch that
signal to a 16x9 wide mode so it covers the whole
screen.  My tv will not however stretch an input
from the component inputs, only a simple zoom.
So the question goes, if I hook the thing up for
hd signals, that implies the non-hd signals will go
through the same video input, and now my tv can't
stretch a std tv anymore.  How do I balance this?
I want true 16x9 hd when available, but want a
stretched 4x3 when not in hd.  How have people
handled this?  I guess I want the best of both
worlds.

Thanks,
Brian