[mythtv-users] Which Nvidia card for TV-OUT?

Jim Valavanis jimvman at comcast.net
Tue Nov 4 14:38:18 EST 2003

Yea damn it stop top-posting.  continued below....

Jarod C. Wilson wrote:

> A: Because English is read from top to bottom, left to right.
> Q: Why is top-posting a bad thing?
>
> (top-posting rearranged)
>
>> On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 16:57, Jim Valavanis wrote:
>>
>>> What type of DVI adapter will work best in Linux?  I have myth running
>>> on Redhat9.
>>

> On Nov 3, 2003, at 17:59, Edward Rudd wrote:
>
>> On many of the Geforce 4 Nvidia cards there is the standard VGA output,
>> the S-Video output, and a "DVI" output which goes to a digital display
>> (like a LCD monitor). So if you install the official Nvidia drivers you
>> can output X to the DVI adapter without a problem, or the TV adapter, or
>> the regular VGA adapter..
>

> Jim, this of course assumes you *have* a DVI input on your TV for
> starters, and on top of that, that it is one that will allow you to
> connect a computer's DVI output to it. Some won't. That said, there
> ought to be at least one way you can connect to your 40" Plasma TV
> that is far superior to S-Video. I have my system hooked to a 47" HDTV
> using a VGA->Component Video adapter.

OK, my hardware vendor recommends the following but knows nothing about Linux, for a DVI output adapter. COMPAQ NVIDIA QUADRO4 380XGL.  Now to look for drivers and make sure it will work before spending $240.00 (damn!).  The Panasanic Plasma TV does have a DVI input, but as you say, maybe it won't work from this DVI output?

>> I haven't actually done this *yet* but I will be sometime soon sending
>> the output to a widescreen TV which has component inputs. And this is
>> really from my brother telling me that there is a DVI to Component
>> converter.
>

> Warning: That'll only work if you have RGB Component inputs on your
> TV. If you have YPbPr Component inputs, you need a transcoder, and the
> only such devices I've seen are VGA->YPbPr, no DVI->YPbPr. My HDTV has
> YPbPr Component inputs, which I feed from the VGA out on my nForce2
> board through an Audio Authority 9A60 transcoding adapter.

So Jarod,
Do you think I should go with an nForce2 and use the VGA out with a
transcoder to the plasma display?  If this is good enough, it will save
some $ and time.

Thanks again!