[mythtv-users] Commercial Skip Questions

bdillahu at peachbush.com bdillahu at peachbush.com
Mon Nov 3 11:03:44 EST 2003

On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 10:18:57PM -0500, Chris Pinkham wrote:
> > Just as a thought, is it somehow lagging and tagging where it has
> > gotten to (a fraction of a second later) instead of where it was aiming
> > at?
>
> It's all digital, so there's no lagging involved.  There is some code
> in there to try to eliminate making you watch the blank frames.  Going
> from memory (which may not be 100% accurate), I think it adjusts the
> start mark to the first blank frame before the commercial break and
> the end mark to the first non-blank frame after.  This is done since
> the actual commercial may be 30 seconds long, but there may be 5-7 blank
> frames separating the commercial from the show.  I don't want the code
> to be too sloppy in it's length checking because that gets a lot of false
> positives, so it is stricter on time then post-adjusts the marks.  There
> is a setting that allows you to make the length checking a little looser
> or stricter but I don't think that has anything to do with what you're
> seeing.
>
> Can you let me know what shows this seems to happen on regularly and I'll
> try to take a look sometime?

I usually see it on The West Wing... worse on the "Bravo" rebroadcasts than
on the mainstream NBC stuff.

Also, just to point out... if the contrast is off on a channel badly, it
really confuses things :-) I doubt there is anything you can do about it...

My cable company broadcasts Bravo "way off" and a "black" screen shows light
grey... I can adjust the brightness and contrast of that channel and get it
back to about right, then the commercial detection works again. My problem
here is that the settings don't always "pick up" after mythbackend restarts...
If I go to that channel and "fiddle" with it, it works.

I'll send that in a seperate head's up for somebody to look at if they care.

Thanks,
Bruce

Bruce