[mythtv-users] How do you compile with support for TV Out on PVR 350?

jose rubio debian at nc.rr.com
Sun Nov 2 09:11:57 EST 2003

On Sat, 2003-11-01 at 06:41, Ward Vandewege wrote:
> James Pifer wrote:
> > I've read you need to compile MythTV for support for the PVR 350's TV
> > Out. What do you need to change in the src to enable support for TV Out
> > on a PVR 350? Is there a document somewhere that explains this?
>
> Err - if there is I haven't found it. I didn't recompile my Myth to use
> the PVR 350's TV output, but I'm currently stuck with far less than
> desirable results.

I have had not problems with my 350 tv out.  first thing you need to do
is to forget about myth for a second and make sure you get the ivtv
stuff right.  Now, talk about alpha drivers, this one changes daily,
sometimes 3 times a day. the latest release does not work for me the one
I'm using is the 10/29/03 release from the kernel.org site (see the ivtv
mailing list for the address, I can't remember it and I'm not where I
can look it up)

> You need the ivtv-fb kernel module (and framebuffer support in your
> kernel, as well as support for '32bpp packed pixels' under 'advanced low
> level drivers' under 'support for framebuffer devices'. The module seems
> a bit buggy. It's impossible to unload, for one (has a use count of 63
> as soon as it is loaded). Also, there are issues with screen size -
> somehow my tv's screen size is slightly smaller than what X thinks it is
> (the video mode of the ivtv-fb is fixed, apparently, once you choose
> PAL/NTSC). At least I can't convince X to use a different mode.

now, the ivtv-fb module, contrary to popular belief, is not used for
tv-out, it is actually used to get mythtv osd to display (IIRC).  So,
what you need to do is to run the "dd" test (see the file ivtv-fb.h) and
see if you can play a mpg file on the tv out.

> This makes it very difficult to configure Myth - the menus are partly
> off-screen. I've tried setting manual sizes for Myth which works,
> provided I also introduce an X and Y offset.
yes, what happens is that the actual tv picture is larger than the
tv-screen (this is by design by the way) so, you have to play around
with the settings in order to get the gui to display properly.  but that
is something to worry about after you get tv-out.

> Also, once I have gone to 'Watch TV', the bottom 20% of the screen
> becomes a duplicate of the top 20%, making Myth even less useable...
>
> Anyone have more success with the PVR-350 TV-out?
>
> Thanks,
> Ward.

yes, i/ve seen your posts about the split screens, I haven't commented
because I just don't know what's causing it...

anyway, I hope this helps a bit...

-jose-