[mythtv-users] How Do I Handle a TAR file

Torsten Schenkel torsten.schenkel at web.de
Sat Nov 1 20:18:37 EST 2003

Hi John,

this list is dedicated for support on installing and running mythtv.

On Sun, 2003-11-02 at 01:48, Housley wrote:
> I'm not a programmer and have no idea what to do with a *.tar file.

This is a basic unix question. It has nothing to do with mythtv. To get
a mythtv system up and running you'll need some experience with linux
and/or a strong will.

> I'm willing to learn.

That's a good start. But I don't think this is the right place to start
learning unix/linux. Get yourself a beginner friendly linux distribution
(maybe RH9, if the intention is on installing myth) and/or contact a
local linux users group in your area. They will help you out. If there
isn't a LUG in your area, go to the newsgroups in the comp.os.linux....
hierarchy and ask your questions there. If you really are willing to
learn and not looking for the "better windows" that's on the media, if
you're willing to learn not only a whole new system, but a new
philosophy, then you'll soon be able to take on the task of getting a
mythtv system up.

> I'm running WinXP Pro.

If you can't see yourself in the words above, there is the myHTPC
project, which looks similar to mythtv but runs on windows.

> Thanks in Advance.

HTH,

Torsten