[mythtv-users] Basic requirements (hardware)

Patrick Wagstrom wagspat at iit.edu
Sat May 31 18:41:46 EDT 2003

Craig Longman [craigl at begeek.com] wrote:
> Jeff C wrote:

> >> jeff, in another thread you talk about jerky video, particularly
> >> during transition points.  i have noticed that if i set my bitrate
> >> anything below about 4.5Mb/s, then i start getting jerky audio.  if i
> >> set it to 2.5Mb/s, then it is almost always skipping.
> >
> > What speed disk are you using?  I'm on a 5400RPM disk with only a 2MB
> > cache, and I am wondering if that might also be contributing?  I
> > intend to go to a 120 or 160 GB drive at 7200RPM with an 8MB cache in
> > a month or so, but until then I'm curious to know what you are using.
>
> i think its a 5400, but i forget what i've got where now.
>
> the thing i don't understand though, is LOWERing the bitrate shouldn't
> expose bad disk performance problems.  it /might/ expose insufficient
> cpu, but then i would think that my proc usage should go up.  having it
> not go up, maybe indicates bus performance problems, but i'm not sure.
>  i think the most likely candidate is timing problems, but thats what i
> need to investigate.
>
> one thing i thought though, if you're going away, you might not want to
> screw around with it.  if lowering it further does cause problems on
> your system, then it will be un-usable for you wife.  i know mine
> doesn't really care for all the experimenting i'm doing with our main tv
> source... especially if it interferes with things like ER...;-)

I doubt that it has to deal with lowering the bitrate, it's probably
something else that is showing up as a side effect of the lowering of
the bitrate.  I set my bitrate to bitrate=2500000,bitrate_peak=5000000
and haven't noticed any problems.  And I'm even running on slower
hardware than you guys (700MHz athlon, 4500 RPM disk drive).  So if it
is a bitrate problem, I'm not experiencing it.

I was getting some skipping at first, then I realized that spamassassin
was causing it (non-dedicated box).  I changed it to run spamd and force
a nice level of 15 for spamd and the jitters went away.

--Patrick