[mythtv-users] Several Problems with my WinTV PVR 250 MythTV Box

Robert Schultz robert at cosmicrealms.com
Sat May 31 19:01:50 EDT 2003

System overview:
RedHat 9.0 (kernel 2.4.20-13.9)
NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX
Athlon Thunderbird 1GHz
WinTV PVR-250 Tuner Card (using coax input, RCA/composite output)
Sound Blaster 16 PCI

First up, I followed these these instructions to the letter:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/mailarc/gforum.cgi?post=63078

MythTV is up and running but several things are not working.

First and mainly is sound. I have no sound output all using MythTV.
If I use mplayer to play a static MPEG file, I hear sound out of my
television.
Same with XFree sounds. They play okay. But MythTV doesn't.
I tried doing a modprobe btaudio, but no such luck. It loads but then
spits out 'No such device' errors.
How can I further troubleshoot this? And hopefully fix it?

Secondly, if I go into MythTV and choose to 'Watch TV' it comes up just
fine and I'm now watching TV.
However, if I hit 'ESCAPE' to go back to the TV menu scren, once it
makes it to the screen Myth totally stops responding.
Arrow keys don't do anything, and neither does escape.
It's as if it just decided to stop listening for input.

The servers output at the end:
Using XV port 211
Video timing method: next trigger
Changing from WatchingLiveTV to None
Changing from WatchingLiveTV to None
Changing from None to None

Any ideas on this one?

Thirdly, I'm using a dual monitor output on my GeForce 4.
So to start up myth, I login to console as root, and then do a startx.
Once I get into X, I open up a terminal window and run a little
'startmyth' batch file I made:

mythbackend -d
export DISPLAY=:0.1
irxevent &
mythfrontend &

The display tag allows me to use MythTV on the TV only, while keeping
the monitor available for 'use'.
The irxevent loads me /root/.lircrc file which has keymappings for my
hauppauge remote control.

Is this possibly causing the issue?
Is irxevent sending the 'escape' key too many times because of the dual
monitors?
I would think no, because I can navigate the menus all night long with
the remote, without getting locked up. It's only when I go to watching
TV and try to 'back/exit' out does the problem happen.
Is there a safer way to run mythtv?
My main goal is to get mythtv on the TV, with remote control only.
Frankly I'd like to turn off the keyboard outputting to the MythTV
screen because I'd like to 'work' inside X on my monitor display.

Also a quick question, I did a cvs checkout mythvideo, make, make
install and then inputed the video database.
How exactly do I use this?
I saw a new menu option in Myth for 'watching videos'.
I set the directory, and coppied over a 8MB MPEG video I got off the
net. But the MythTV interface doesn't seem to see any videos.
Do I need to run the mythvideo process as well? or how else can I get
videos to show up?

Anyone have any ideas?

I've uploaded the following files to my website just in case you need to
see them:
http://www.cosmicrealms.com/MythProblem/XF86Config
http://www.cosmicrealms.com/MythProblem/.lircrc
http://www.cosmicrealms.com/MythProblem/startmyth

The last file is that script I wrote that I execute once I get into
xwindows.
--
To an optimist the glass is half full.
To a pessimist the glass is half empty.