[mythtv-users] Update: Pundit/MythFE Distro

Steve Davidson buzzdat1 at attbi.com
Sat May 31 11:24:20 EDT 2003

All,

Thanks for the tips - Wasnt able to respond directly because my mail
server was freaking out.  I've switched over to my @Home account, will
probably switch to the comcast account shortly.

Just a quick update - I have the binaries and dependencies built and
ready for my initial testing, as soon as my Pundit arrives.  I am using
one of my previous projects as a starting point; it was an in-car MP3
jukebox using the IRPM3 project, running on a hacked I-Opener running a
tweaked version of Ingo Paschke's M4I distribution.  His distribution
fits X, Opera, BlackBox, BusyBox, XMMS, Opera, Flash, Samba, and several
other tools within 16 MB of flash memory (!!!).  I've stripped most of
the stuff that I didn't need (namely X and Opera) out of my MP3 Jukebox;
am starting over for this project, and am shooting for a full frontend
distribution on a 32 Meg CF card (but I may have to expand that to 64 if
it won't fit).

Why use this instead of a cd-based distribution like Knoppix?  Mainly
because I have most of the tools together and have spent a good deal of
time working with this distribution.  I also want a completely diskless
system for my frontend, and I think its just plain cool to fit a full,
working Linux distribution within 32 megs.

I have a laundry list of items that I want to finish before sending it
out to others to test:

1) Bootup: The distribution boots from a cramfs partition on flash, and
the boot process is pretty slow - ~45 seconds on my I-Opener (Rise
PR266 at 133 mhz, 32 megs ram).  The I-Opener is notoriously slow; I expect
to see sub-30 second boot times on the Pundit.  I want to get APM
suspend/resume fully working to avoid the bootup delay.  I am also
hoping that I can set an APM wakeup event from my serial IR remote via
the BIOS - making the whole thing more tivo-like.  Can't test either
until I get my hardware!

2) Integrate the Linux Progress Patch for a nice, clean display during
bootup.  (If anyone has already created a Myth/LPP boot screen, I would
REALLY appreciate it if you would send it to me - I have very little
artistic talent <g>)

3) Develop a packaging system (ala the LRP / Leaf system) for supporting
extra modules.  Haven't really thought this one fully out, but it would
be really nice to be able to extend the distribution without having to
resort to re-building or manually transferring files.  I could see
Skins, myth packages, drivers, and other optional components fitting in
nicely here.

4) Test and fix dependency issues, remove unused binaries & libs, and
update all components to latest available STABLE versions.

Tips? Suggestions? Input?  Let me know what you think!

== Steve