[mythtv-users] Basic requirements (hardware)

Jeff C tuner at hfx.eastlink.ca
Sat May 31 10:35:24 EDT 2003

At 10:25 PM 5/30/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>On Friday 30 May 2003 08:42 pm, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> > On Friday 30 May 2003 05:05 pm, Andrew Ingram wrote:
> > > Is there any word about when MythTV will support programmable bitrates
> > > for the PVR250?
> >
> > Once the ivtv driver supports it, I would imagine...
>
>The driver does, actually, it's just that the interface for changing it isn't
>the final one, so I don't really see any point in supporting it or the other
>encoding options just yet.  The various options do persist until a reboot, so
>unless you want different recording options for live-tv and scheduled
>recordings (and I can't think of a reason why you would), the test_ioctl
>program's plenty enough to take care of setting the bitrate for now.

On this note, I have done some playing around and added this line to my
/etc/rc.local on my RH9 system (I have some other test_ioctl functions
above it).  This setting results in almost exactly 2GB an hour files, and I
have noticed no quality difference between it and the default setting.

# Turn down the sample rate for smaller files - about 2GB/hour
~jac/ivtv/ivtv/utils/test_ioctl -c bitrate=4000000,bitrate_peak=10000000

-Jeff