[mythtv-users] Basic requirements (hardware)

Andrew Ingram adingram at clara.co.uk
Fri May 30 23:05:20 EDT 2003

The reason 500Mhz is close to minimum if you have a PVR250 is that, no
matter what your capture resolution, you are capturing at a bitrate of
16Mb/sec. That's 2MB/sec which is a hell of a lot of data to be grabbing
and decoding, a lot more than your average DIVX.

Once MythTV supports the changing of the bitrate for the PVR250, a
500Mhz machine should be fine for playback of captured movies. I have a
450Mhz machine and it's just fractionally too slow for playback. You
might scrape it with a 500Mhz machine, but once we can lower bitrate,
there will be no problem.

Is there any word about when MythTV will support programmable bitrates
for the PVR250?

Andy