[mythtv-users] Basic requirements (hardware)

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Fri May 30 13:17:20 EDT 2003

At 02:57 PM 5/30/2003 -0400, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
>That *might* just about do it if you use a PVR-250.  500MHz is close to the
>minimum for playback.  I believe there are folks out there with PVR-250's in
>machines near that speed; perhaps they could shed some more light.

I think you are right, Joe ... at least it matches my experience with Myth
... but do you (or does anyone) know *why* this is true? I ask because I've
done playback of DivX'd DVDs, using xine or mplayer, on much lighterweight
hardware ... a K6-300, so old that the mobo had slots for 72-pin RAM, that
I used to have comes to mind ... with only about a 50-60% CPU load. What
does Myth *playback* do that is so demanding of CPU. compared to these
other playback apps?