[mythtv-users] Forums??

James Fidell james at cloud9.co.uk
Fri May 30 12:26:57 EDT 2003

Quoting Ben Davis (ben at xsusio.com):

> However, I think a Forum is great for several reasons:
>
> - Better orginization of threads (separating forums under different
> subject as opposed to a separate mailing list for each)

I don't see a fundamental difference between "separate forums" and
"separate mailing lists".  And good email clients allow separation
of messages into different "folders" automatically.

> - Ability to track/watch messages (i.e. "favorites") and have them all
> listed on a single page when they are active

Good email clients allow message scoring.

> - You can have the forum send email notifications of topic replies, as
> opposed to filling up your inbox with stuff you would rather read not
> have sitting on your hd (or server's hd)

Killfiles and message scoring can achieve the same ends quite effectively.

I find the web a slow and clumsy method for text-based messages, to the
point where I will never read a web-based forum unless someone specifically
refers me to an article (or it's linked from a google search).  I have
far greater flexibility in the way I handle email, not to mention the
fact that it's much quicker.

Where web-based interfaces can be useful is in list archiving and searches
on that archive, but that's a different subject altogether.

James