[mythtv-users] Forums??

Ben Bucksch linux.news at bucksch.org
Fri May 30 06:54:16 EDT 2003

Kevin Thorwesten wrote:

>If someone is going to help they are going to help. If they will take their time to respond to an email why would they not respond to a forum post?

Because it's inconvient to them. For example:

    * Having to type in a browser textfield is cumbersome
    * Waiting for web pages to load after every click is slow
    * With email, I have the choice of application; with a web app, I am
      restricted to that web app (browser doesn't really count as app
      here, only as platform)

>If there is no mailing list and forums only, the experienced users will still log on to the forums to check the posts as they log on to their email to check their emails.

No, I won't.

>From: "Ray Olszewski" <ray at comarre.com>
>

>>The problem with using forums to support beginners ("newbies") is that the forums need some experienced users to answer the questions that beginners ask.

My point was that we don't have to choose between either. A gateway
allows everyone to use the method of access they prefer, both with the
same data base.

>>I suppose if there is some painless way to combine the two, that's fine.

That's what I was suggesting, if Ben Davis wants to do that.

>>a forum doesn't then even need to be part of the Myth site, just to interact with the list ... so anyone really interested in setting it up can do so at any convenient site.

Yes. But it should have the project's (read: Isaac's and the other main
devs') approval.