[mythtv-users] ALSA Driver

Pete Hartman mythtv at elmegil.net
Thu May 29 19:57:23 EDT 2003

At 07:27 AM 5/29/03 +0000, rwk at americom.com wrote:
> > When I follow the ALSA website instructions for installation (module
>
>You mean the compilation instructions?

No, the module configuration instructions.  The modules are all compiled
and part of the RPMs.  Every card supported has a module.  You then tell
/etc/modules.conf which one to use, and some other stuff.  It's the other
stuff that's causing me problems.

> > my video flakes out--I get a blank screen when I boot runlevel
> > 5.  (my card is an i810 clone, the SiS7012 which is supported according to
> > the matrix).
>
>I would compile from source specifying your sound card as described on
>the alsa web site.

I'd just as soon build my car from spare parts. :-)

If it comes down to that, I'll do it, but I'm trying to go as much with
RPMs for everything as possible.  So far none of the pieces parts appear to
require compiling--they're all available as RPMs--it's just a matter of
finding the magic configuration instructions since the RPMs are apparently
built by people who already know exactly how to configure them :)

One really weird thing is that with a subset of the modules.conf entries
active I 1) don't have the video problem 2) can hear my microphone if I
unmute it, and 3) can't seem to hear any other sound output even when I've
gone into alsamixer and unmuted everything and cranked it all up to
100%.  (by subset, I've got all the entries but the last two; I was
re-adding them one at a time to find which one zonked the video but then it
got to be way past bedtime :-).