[mythtv-users] Pundit / MythFE distro

Henk Poley hpoley at dds.nl
Thu May 29 21:22:54 EDT 2003

> Van: Steve Davidson <smdavidson at belugasoftware.com>
>
> My goal is to create a special-purpose distribution for *frontend only*
> mythtv boxes (IOW, not a general-purpose distro, no backend support).
> My initial focus will be on the Pundit (for obvious reasons); I will
> also be focusing on diskless booting (via CF and possibly PXE/netboot).

If I were you I'd start with a Knoppix CD, strip about everything but X,
and apt-get MythTV frontend (seperate package?). Yes, it would be kinda big
(100-150MB) for a mini distro, mainly due to the hardware detection. But it
could be used to automagicaly generate a much smaller one by stripping
hardware detection and the apt database. Install that to a Flash disk or
something.

And talk a bit with the guy that makes Morphix (Knoppix remaster), he knows
how to intergrate nVidia drivers and other 'cool', but handy, stuff. Yes, I
know these are not needed for the Pundit, but you will have a nice general
purpose 'distro' up in no time.

	Henk Poley <><