[mythtv-users] Pundit / MythFE distro

Steve Davidson smdavidson at belugasoftware.com
Thu May 29 10:34:50 EDT 2003

Ordered my Pundit this morning, am anxiously awaiting its arrival<g>.

Not sure if this is the correct forum to mention this in, please let me
know if it is not; but here goes:

Spent some time last night gathering pieces for a lightweight frontend
distribution; I am using a modified version of Midori patched for the
2.4.20 kernel (or the 2.4.20 kernel patched with Midori mods, depending
on how you look at it <g>).  Will be looking for some volunteers to test
as soon as the distro is ready.

My goal is to create a special-purpose distribution for *frontend only*
mythtv boxes (IOW, not a general-purpose distro, no backend support).
My initial focus will be on the Pundit (for obvious reasons); I will
also be focusing on diskless booting (via CF and possibly PXE/netboot).

My first pass will be a proof-of-concept; once it is running, I will
focus on making the distro more friendly.

It would be *very* beneficial if current users of the Pundit would send
me their configurations - Specifically, XF86Config and your working
kernel config if you have re-compiled.  Also, I would be very grateful
if someone could email me a non-corrupted version of the Pundit user's
manual PDF; tried downloading it from several files last night to no
avail...

I am hardly a kernel expert; have cobbled together several embedded
devices with custom kernels however, and am confident that I will be
able to produce a working product.  I intend for this to be a learning
experience, so comments are very welcome.  I'll be working on this in my
spare time (of which I don't have a huge amount), so please be patient.

== Steve