[mythtv-users] Widescreen

matt at mattmarsh.net matt at mattmarsh.net
Thu May 29 11:18:41 EDT 2003

Hi,

I'm thinking of putting together a MythTV box
connected to a widescreen tv. I was wondering
what happens regarding screen resolution etc?

Normally, a widescreen TV seems to stretch input
in various ways, often doing clever things such
as chopping bits off the top and bottom of a
4:3 broadcast and stretching it wider. I assume
that if I used the S-Video out on the machine
and plugged that into the TV it would do the
same so as long as I set the screen res of the
MythTV box to a 4:3 ratio such as 1024x768 then
that would work fine?

However, I was hoping to use the VGA out of the
machine and plug that into a VGA input on the
TV (this is an LCD TV BTW with a resolution of
1280x768). If I do this, what will happen? Will
the TV likely still do it's whizzy stretching
stuff if I set the res of the MythTV box to
1024x768? Or does all the clever stretching
stuff need to occur on the MythTV box (which
is what I'm suspecting) and if so, can MythTV
do this?

I'd love to hear from anyone who has a similar
setup to this and hear your experiences...

Thanks,
Matt